Spiced Banana Crumb Cake
Makes: 10 servings
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
- 1 1/2 Cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Stick unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 Eggs
- 1 1/2 Cups sugar
- 1 Stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 Large ripe or over-ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Cups all purpose flour
- 2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 Teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and butter and flour an 8″ tube style (angel food) pan.
- Make the crumb topping by combining the flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Pour in the melted butter, mix thoroughly and set aside while you make the cake.
- Add the eggs and sugar to a large bowl and, using a stand or hand mixer, beat together until lightened in color. Beat in the butter followed by the vanilla and bananas.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg for the swirl.
- Pour half the banana batter into the prepared tube pan, sprinkle the swirl mixture evenly over the layer and top with the remaining batter.
- Using your fingers, crumble the topping mixture over the batter and bake for 45 – 50 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool thoroughly before removing from the pan.
Many thanks to Hungry Couple for this wonderful recipe!