Chocolate Chip Banana Cake
Makes: 8 – 10 servings
Prep time: 30 minutes
Bake time: 45 minutes
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature, divided
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups chocolate chips, divided
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tbsp heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350oF. Grease two 6-inch round cake pans.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix the sugar and 1 stick of butter until fluffy. Add the eggs and mix until combined. Mash the bananas with a fork, and then add to the mixing bowl. Pour in the milk and vanilla, and then mix until combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Pour into the mixing bowl slowly with the mixer on low speed. Add 1 cup of chocolate chips and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 45 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the remaining butter, powdered sugar and cocoa powder until combined. Add vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon of heavy cream, whisk to combine. If the frosting is too thick, add one more tablespoon of heavy cream.
- When the cake is completely cool, slice the domed top off of each to even them out. Place one cake on a cake stand and spread a thick layer of frosting on top. Layer on the second cake and cover the top and sides with a thin layer of frosting, then freeze for 5 minutes.
- While the cake is in the freezer, Put the remaining chocolate chips in a heat-proof bowl. Bring the remaining heavy cream to a gentle boil in a sauce pot over medium heat, then pour the cream over the chocolate. Let it sit for 2 minutes before whisking into a smooth ganache.
- Remove the cake from the freezer and pour the ganache over the cake in an even layer, using a spatula to cover the sides if necessary.
- Refrigerate until ganache is set before slicing and serving.