Caramelized Banana Fruitcake
Makes: One 8-inch Cake
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 3 ONE Bananas
- 1 cup brown sugar, divided
- 4 tbsp. melted unsalted butter
- 1 Pear
- ½ cup fresh cranberries
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 and butter a 8-inch round cake pan.
- Stir together the melted butter and ½ cup of the brown sugar in a bowl and pour into the cake pan.
- Slice 2 bananas length-wise and layer the pieces over the sugar mixture.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla extract, mix to combine.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl, mix to combine. Slowly pour in the milk with the mixer running.
- Peel the pear and chop it into ½ inch pieces. Roughly chop the cranberries and slice the remaining banana into ½ inch pieces. Gently fold the fruit into the cake batter.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for 40 minutes until edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for 3 minutes in the pan then run a knife along the edges to loosen it and invert onto a wire rack to cool completely before serving.